Blog

5 Things You Need to Know | June 2019 ADK Conservation News

By: Casey Marvell - Adirondack Council's Policy Fellow
Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Adirondack Conservation News is a collection of the most current events taking place in New York’s Adirondack Park, a unique national treasure and legacy we inherited over 100 years ago, that we must to protect for future generations. Adirondack Conservation News aims to highlight both threats and opportunities concerning the Park’s ecological integrity, wild character and community vibrancy.

Uploaded Image: /vs-uploads/5-things-blog---september/Parking_Rt_73.jpg

New York Approves One of the World’s Most Ambitious Climate Plans  

State lawmakers recently passed the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCP). This measure codifies greenhouse gas reduction goals and electricity source requirements into state law. It requires New York to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 85 percent below 1990 levels by 2050 and offset the remaining 15 percent to transform the state into a net-zero greenhouse gas emissions economy. Also, the state must get all its electricity from renewable sources like wind, solar and hydropower by 2040. The Adirondack Council and partners lauded the passage of the CLCPA which will require the state to significantly increase its investment in climate friendly policies.

Uploaded Image: /vs-uploads/images/NYS_Capitol_New.jpgDEC Begins Route 73 Roadside Parking Ban  

Throughout June, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and Department of Transportation (DOT) expanded the no parking policy at undesignated roadside areas in Keene Valley. “No Parking” signs were installed from Chapel Pond to Rooster Comb on route 73. DEC Forest Rangers, Environmental Conservation Officers and State Police have been heavily patrolling the area and strictly enforcing the policy with parking tickets. Stakeholders want the state to implement a comprehensive management plan to address public safety and natural resource protection, while upholding positive visitor experiences and community needs for one of the most popular and overused areas in the Park. 

Air Pollution

51,000 Acres, Rights Acquired in Raquette Boreal Forest Area    

The Conservation Fund, a not-for-profit, recently protected 51,300 acres of land in the Northwestern Adirondacks in an effort to preserve the sensitive area. The land provides a buffer for the Raquette Boreal Primitive Area and is home to the endangered spruce grouse. The Three Rivers Forest is expected to be managed as a working forest and will allow public access for recreational activities like hunting, snowmobiling and fishing.   

 

 

Bald Mountain

State Opens Boat Inspection Station at Exit 18 Welcome Center  

Last month, New York State opened its first highway rest stop boat washing and inspection station at the newly renovated Exit 18 Adirondack welcome center on I-87 (the Northway). The boat washing station will provide complimentary inspections and decontaminations to boats entering the Adirondack Park. Boat decontamination is a critical tool to prevent the spread of harmful aquatic invasive species. Stakeholders lauded the state’s initiative and believe it should inspire future stations to be built throughout the Park. 

 

Uploaded Image: /vs-uploads/5thingsoct2018/Rte_73.jpg

Loon Lovers, give the birds some space  

With summer upon us, the Adirondack Center for Loon Conservation (ACLC) wants to remind loon enthusiasts that it is important to stay at least 150 feet away and preferably enjoy their viewing with binoculars to ensure the birds are not overly stressed. The ACLC has been monitoring loons and their nests on over 100 lakes in the Adirondack Park to examine their reproductive health. Although the current loon population is twice what it was in the 1980’s, advocates are seeking to bring increased awareness about the threats to the loons such as climate change, pollution and boating activities.   

 

Uploaded Image: /vs-uploads/staff-headshots/Casey_Marvel2.jpgCasey Marvel is the Policy Fellow in the Council’s Albany office. He assists the government relations and communication teams by tracking legislation, researching issues and advocating for the Adirondacks. A native of Niskayuna, New York, Casey recently completed his Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science from the University of Albany, and is currently pursuing his Master’s in Political Science. Casey has always been intrigued and passionate about the Adirondacks, having visited the Park throughout his life, from fishing at Paradox Lake, to recently pursuing the 46 High Peaks.

 

« Back to Blog

Why the Park Matters

On the Blog

In and About the Park

Our Current Projects

Join Us/Donate

Support Adirondack Conservation!

How You Can Help

Take Action

Save the Adirondacks from Acid Rain!

Your donation goes directly to help fund initiatives within the Adirondack Park.   DONATE NOW